The One Thing That Hasn't Changed in 15 Years
15 years ago I gave up my Dry Stoly Martini with 3 olives. While I'd like to say it was a sad day (you really can't replicate the taste of a martini in my opinion), it was actually one of the best days of my life.
Obviously, the world kept spinning, and life changed. In fact, here's a few changes that have impacted my life over the last few years:
- Technology - kind of hard to sum this up in a sentence or two because the evolution of technology has literally impacted every aspect of our lives. From running to recipes, to being a know-it-all (ask the Google anytime that name is on the tip of your tongue).
- Dating - As a 50 year old married woman I don't know much about this but 3 of my friends are in their current awesome relationships as a result of Tinder.
- Reality TV - I am from the MTV Generation. Remember when we could watch videos all day and all night with no commercials? That was pretty new for it's time. Now I have things like The Real Housewives of Anywhere and Keeping Up With the Kardashians on my DVR list (guilty pleasure).
- Airports - remember when we didn't have to take off our shoes?
- Starbucks - $5.00 for a cup of coffee? Come again?
Here's one thing that hasn't changed in the last 15 years - non-alcoholic cocktails. Otherwise known as "mocktails".
I consider myself an expert on this topic. See also: I have a soapbox.
When I gave up that Stoly I was suddenly uncomfortable in bars and restaurants, and sometimes even at people's home. What do I order? The menu tells me they have soda, tea, and lemonade. When I ask the server he tells me they can make me a Virgin Margarita.
Now, I'm not sure if you ever had a Stoly martini with 3 olives (the olives were key) but I wouldn't consider this a 'sweet' drink. This was the kind of cocktail that burned the back of your throat going down. So. sodas, iced teas, and virgin margaritas...well, they weren't really something I would enjoy. But those were my options.
And now I'm over it.
We're gonna fix this problem, us - you and me. And it all starts here at Marnie Rae. We'll inspire people to be wonderful hostesses in their homes, we'll teach restaurants how to show their non-drinking customers that they value them, and we'll remind people that if they don't feel like having a cocktail it's okay - they still have grown up, delicious choices that won't relegate them to the kid's table.
I'm so glad you're joining me on this mission! Do you have a go-to non-alcoholic drink that you serve? A favorite restaurant or mixologist that just gets it? A recipe idea?
Please share them with me!!!
In the meantime let's connect on my YouTube channel or over on Instagram and Facebook.
Here we go, changing the world...one soft cocktail at a time:)